Whether you’re dreaming of buying an apartment, villa or townhouse in Spain, this guide to buying a Spanish property explains every step.
The property search
- Work out your budget using our budget calculator.
- Discover which locations in Spain suit your criteria and budget using our location guides.
- Sign up for a Kyero account so that you don’t miss out on any new Spanish properties.
- Once you are signed up, you can use Create alerts for the regions in Spain you are interested in. Kyero will email you when new properties matching your criteria are listed.
- Compile a short list of the Spanish properties you like by using Add to favourites. You can find your favourite properties again later by logging in and selecting Favourites.
- Use the Make an enquiry button to get in touch with the estate agents in Spain to find out more information and arrange viewings. Tip: If you want to ask the agent a specific question about a property, use Change to add an additional message to your enquiry.
- Arrange to visit the area you want to buy.
- Make sure you view several properties before you decide which one to buy.
Bag that perfect Spanish property
- Start the application process for your NIE number.
- Open a bank account in Spain.
- Find an independent, bilingual solicitor to make legal enquiries on your behalf.
Important legal specifics for purchasing property in Spain
- Check the property is authorised for sale – your solicitor will help with this.
- Check there are no charges or fees outstanding on the property.
- Check that the person selling the property is the legal owner – get your solicitor to help with this too.
- Agree with your seller who pays which taxes.
- Sign the deposit contract and pay 10% of the total price.
- Agree on a date for completion.
Complete your purchase
- Sign the title of the deed with a public notary.
- Pay the outstanding money owed.
- Pay the correct taxes.
- Register your new property with the land registry
- Consider making a will to takes care of your Spanish property.
- Get some advice on tax liability in Spain and back home.
For even more detailed information about purchasing property in Spain check out our Spain Buying Guide.